Facing a criminal investigation?

Why Spodek Law Group
  • Flexible Payment Plans

    We're affordable and make it easy


" They worked very hard on my case and got me a very, very favorable outcome "

Syed Hoque

free consultation

Criminal Appeals for Federal Cases

Criminal Appeals for Federal Cases

The end of the legal battle doesn’t stop when you or your loved ones have received unfavorable outcomes. Reach out to a skilled federal appeals attorney who can guide you through the steps of appealing the outcome, giving you another shot at justice. If your criminal case was lost at trial, don’t lose hope as certain parts may still be reviewed, potentially resulting in a lessened sentence or, in some cases, an overturned verdict. Henceforth, if you believe the result is something you do not deserve and plainly unjust, get in touch with our federal criminal defense firm today.

If you have lost your initial court battle and want another chance to achieve the available outcome, our team of skilled lawyers can help you. We know what it takes to win in federal criminal appeals and are dedicated to protecting your welfare. We will do everything in our power to uphold your legal rights and protect you from unjust conviction or excessively harsh punishments. Contact us now to learn more about how we can help you appeal your federal criminal case.

Understanding the Federal Court System

The federal court system is composed of three main levels, namely district courts, circuit courts, and the Supreme Court. Your federal criminal case will first be heard in a district court. If you receive an unsatisfactory result and choose to pursue an appeal, your criminal case will be passed along to a circuit court. If either party is still displeased with the outcome, a “writ of certiorari” may be filed, requesting the Supreme Court to hear the case. If the writ is not granted, the circuit court’s decision will stand.

How to Appeal in Federal Court

Feel free to appeal the court’s decision when you believe your federal case was decided unfairly. The first step is filing a notice of appeal with the clerk of the district court. Note that you have 30 days to file for civil cases and 10 days to file for federal criminal cases. Your lawyer will provide a proof of service of the notice of appeal to the opposing side and wait for the clerk of the district court to approve the notice and forward it to the clerk for the court of appeals. Thereafter, a docketing notice will be issued, setting dates for hearings or briefing deadlines for the appeal.

Your appeal will most likely be made in the Court of Appeals that has jurisdiction over your state. However, if you are involved in a specialized case, your appeal may be made to a different court. Your lawyer will review the details of your case thoroughly and help you understand the complexities that surround it. Having an experienced lawyer on your side provides you with invaluable insight that could potentially save you from a wrongful conviction or harsh penalties. Keep in mind that as long as you are with a knowledgeable legal representative, you are assured and protected.

Our Post-conviction Services for Federal Criminal Appeals

As an outstanding defense firm, we take federal criminal cases seriously and are committed to fighting for your independence. We are keen to providing assistance to your case at any stage, even after you have been convicted of a crime, and will instantly start working to develop a strategic winning defense. We will stand by you and work vigorously to determine the approach should you want to fight conviction and appeal your case to a higher court. We believe that no one should suffer unjustly, hence we will do everything we can to help you win your federal criminal appeal.

Our proven and recognized results showcase our attention to every detail and skill in defending the wrongfully accused. Don’t hesitate to contact us today to learn more about the options available in your case so you can get on track to taking charge of your future.

Contact Us for Help with Federal Criminal Appeals

Call our toll free number now to secure the services of one of the country’s top defense firms, leading you one step closer to successfully appealing your case. You can also schedule a free consultation through our online form. A member of our team is available 24/6 to start working on your time-sensitive case.

Getting A Guilty Verdict Overturned in a Federal Criminal Appeal

You Have A Right To Appeal A Guilty Verdict

In the event that you or a loved one has been found guilty of a federal criminal offense, you could be experiencing feelings of hopelessness and defeat.  At this stage, it is critical to  bear in mind that this is not the end of your legal battle. You do indeed still have a chance to appeal and potentially overturn your guilty verdict or sentence, which could lead to the possibility of clearing your name completely. If you are interested in appealing the verdict in your federal criminal case, you’ll need a talented defense attorney fighting on your behalf. 

How to Appeal in a Federal Criminal Case

If the verdict you received was unjust, you will more than likely want to appeal and get another chance at proving your innocence. While it is exceedingly difficult to win an appeal, your lawyer may be able to help you achieve your desired results. The quicker you get a seasoned lawyer involved in your case, the better your chances are of getting justice. 

Step one in an appeal process is filing a notice of appeal. After your sentence is imposed on you, you are given 14 days to get the appeal paperwork in. If you were not already working with a lawyer up to this point, then you need to act fast to get one on board.  Nevertheless, if you can’t secure a lawyer before the 14 day window closes, you should still file notice. This step is time sensitive.  Any procrastination could result in a forfeiture of your right to appeal altogether. After your notice has been submitted, you can still bring an attorney on board to work with you on an approach aimed at clearing your name.

The Federal Criminal Appeal Process: An Overview

Once you have filed a notice of appeal, you will then be required to file docketing statements. These will assist  the clerk’s office in understanding how they should deal with your case. You’ll have roughly 45 days to put in your opening brief.  The opening brief explains what took place in your hearing and why it was unjust. After you complete this initial work, it is now on the government to file a response that addresses the points you brought up.  Once they do this, you’ll have one last shot to respond to the government. After this back and forth, your matter will go before a panel of three judges.  The judges will review the information and render a decision, or they might call for oral argument. When they’ve arrived at a conclusion, the losing side may still have an opportunity to ask the court to hear the case over again, or they may opt to petition the Supreme Court to get involved.

The fact is that it is almost impossible to prepare an appellate brief on your own—especially a persuasive one—which is why it is critical to have an experienced, knowledgeable lawyer working on your case. Your attorney will make sure that you have the possible shot at justice, and he or she will also keep you on top of your deadlines and keep you informed throughout the entire process so you will be able to make informed decisions for your future. 

A Great Challenge: Overturning A Guilty Verdict

Overturning a guilty verdict is a great challenge. In essence, you have to convince the judges that your side of the account was not represented accurately, and that this resulted in a skewed verdict. It is so much easier to win your case during the actual trial.  This is why it makes sense to get a lawyer involved in your case as early as you can. Nevertheless, if you’ve already received a guilty verdict and are looking to overturn it, you can still get a lawyer involved on your appeal to improve your chances of success.  

Call Now