Acts which are illegal under the laws of the United States federal government are known as federal crimes or federal offenses. Federal crimes are different from acts considered illegal by individual states (state crimes or offenses). In New York, as in other states, federal crimes are prosecuted by the United States Attorney under the local federal district’s prosecution guidelines and under guidelines set by federal law. Those accused of such crimes are defended by New York Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers , in the United States District Court.
If an accused individual is ultimately convicted of a federal crime, sentencing depends on federal guidelines that consider, among other things:
- The specific offense(s) and damages in question.
- Whether the defendant has a criminal record and, if so, the extent of that criminal record.
Types of Federal Crimes
Federal crimes can include any criminal act that takes place on U.S. federal property and/or on Indian reservations. Some crimes are listed in Title 18 of the United States Code (the federal criminal and penal code), but others fall under other titles (for instance, tax evasion and possession of weapons banned by the National Firearms Act and criminalized in Title 26 of the United States Code).
Some examples of federal crimes addressed by New York criminal defense lawyers include:
- Bank robbery, art theft, the destruction of public mail boxes and other property crimes
- Immigration offenses
- Hijacking airplanes
- Possessing weapons specifically banned by the National Firearms Act
- Some drug crimes, such as drug trafficking across the U.S. border or U.S. state lines
- Some sex crimes, such as distribution of child pornography
- Some so-called “white collar” crimes, like mail fraud, tax evasion and counterfeiting U.S. currency
Contact New York Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been charged with any federal crime, it will be critical that an experienced New York criminal defense attorney helps ensure the best possible outcome to your case. Frederick L. Sosinsky has dedicated his career to ensuring the accused receive an unbiased and speedy trial, as well as justice in the event of a guilty verdict and sentencing hearing. An experienced practitioner before jurors, attorney Sosinsky is well-versed in the criminal trial tactics and protocols necessary to secure fairness for his clients. Contact the Law Offices of Frederick L. Sosinsky by calling (212) 285-2770 today.