If you are seeking a New York criminal defense attorney, it is most likely a very stressful time in your life. You need high quality legal representation, but may not know who to call. Your friends and family members may be unable to provide any referrals to criminal defense attorneys, and it can be hard to trust a fancy website or a radio advertisement when you are facing potentially serious charges.
If you are considering hiring someone to serve as your New York criminal defense attorney, there are a few questions you should ask:
– How long have you been practicing criminal law? You will want an attorney with a significant amount of criminal defense experience, not just general legal experience.
– How often do you go to trial? This is important because although an attorney may have been practicing criminal law for a while, he or she may have very little trial experience. You will want to hire someone with a significant amount of experience in trial work.
– How often do you plan on communicating with me? It can be very frustrating to not know what’s going on with your criminal case. You want to work with an attorney who will keep you updated on the status of your case.
– How often do you win? You will want an attorney with a solid track record of winning in court. You will want to know how often charges are dismissed or clients are acquitted.
– How much will the case cost me? Will the attorney charge a flat fee or per hour, and can an estimate be given up front?